the delightful Miss K

the delightful Miss K

Saturday, March 6, 2010

Day #2: The PR campaign begins....


I'm fairly convinced that Mum is dead... well at least her phone is... either way, I'm stuffed. I've sent her off to explore some park that's supposed to hold all sorts of events for the Adelaide Festival. Now this is not to be confused with the park that's holding all sorts of events for the FRINGE festival or the park that's hosting WOMAD all going on at the same time. This town has nothing on 11/12's of the year, but decides 3 arts festivals and a massive car race all this week is a good thing. Interesting planning I must say....
Anyway, I was reaching the point where I was going to kill my mother so thought it best to suggest we split up for a few hours, not meeting up again till 6pm (a nice juicy 4 hours alone time)
Well 2 hours into the arrangement, I felt revived and a tad guilty so decided to go find her and see what was happening in her particular park... phone's off and its pissing down. I walked and walked and got wetter and wetter and never found the park, searched every coffee shop I came across (the odds were high she'd be in one) and eventually gave up and went to the pub. It was there that I sat at the bar and went through possible scenarios of what to do when she doesn't materialise at 6. Would I call home and admit I'd lost here somewhere? Would I call the police and explained like a pathetic 5 year-old that I'd lost my Mother, would I call my hosts and get them involved? Luckily, after meeting a 'delightful' bogan couple here to grab some 'culta' and a couple of lesbians who kept feeding me chips, she called and came met me at the Exeter. I got over the drama by getting slightly drunk which felt weird but liberating in front of my Mum and we set off to get some 'culta' ourselves. We'd proven ourselves to be absolutely shit-house at handing out flyers, its so intimidating and embarrassing and I'd covered the town K in the form of posters so the next best thing, is see what other people are doing and steel their ideas, snap!
Saw some free stand-up comedy, (I didn't know Adelaidians hate Melbourneians! Jealous much?)I then remembered I'm not a fan of stand-up, I think I require my comedy to be wrapped in a character and within a story, hence the lean to cabaret and then the best piece of theatre I'd seen in a long time: Scaramouch Jones or how ever one spells it. It was so good, I was done for the night and didn't want to taint it with anything else. Home to Mylor to hear in detail where Leonie sits in a loooooooong branch of her family tree and watch footage of mad Melbourne rain. (Brian and Leonie have one of those digi thingis that can allow you to record shows and watch them later... they use it for the news.) Wow, go Melbourne, you rock even more than my tour is at the moment, and that's got a pretty strong element of rock I'll have you know! Parent count: still 3 although I thought it was down to 2 at one stage today... nigh night.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like the Badelaide has been providing some suitably random adventures - Paris awaits the next instalment !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Miss K - hoping you come back to whats left of rain washed Melbourne to us safe having survived the motherload of tours! A shout out to your bravery!!!!

    ReplyDelete